Skip to Content
Call For A FREE Consultation 425-657-5255

When Should You Contact a Doctor After a Head Injury?

child getting head injury checked at doctor's office

In many cases, bumping your head is nothing to worry about. However, that doesn’t mean the person’s spouse, parent, or loved one shouldn’t keep an eye on the injury from developing more dangerous complications.

If you or your child is involved in a traumatic event, knowing what warning signs to look for is vital to ensuring you receive timely medical attention.

Immediate Signs You Should Call or Visit a Doctor

When someone hits their head, there may be some sort of cut, welt, or bruise that can be very alarming at first. However, most of these injuries are considered minor and won’t require medical care.

More serious injuries, like concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBI), typically don’t cause these superficial types of injuries because they are formed underneath the surface. But, unless you’re a medical doctor, it’s almost impossible to distinguish between these minor wounds and full-on head injuries.

Therefore, it’s better to be safe than sorry and call your doctor if you or the injured individual begins to develop the following symptoms:

  • Dizziness and balance problems
  • Ongoing headaches
  • Having difficulty falling or staying asleep
  • Changes in eyesight or trouble moving eyes
  • Feeling sluggish
  • Memory problems

If the person develops the symptoms below, you should immediatelycall 911 or take them to the emergency room for immediate medical treatment:

  • Numbness
  • Heavy bleeding
  • Inability to speak
  • Vomiting
  • Discharge of fluid from nose or ears
  • Seizures

Helping You Get the Treatment You Need

Ultimately, if there is ever doubt as to whether a head injury is serious or not, be on the safe side and visit a doctor. This way, they can run the necessary tests to either diagnose the condition or rule out the possibility of a head or brain injury.

If your or your loved one’s head injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, Kornfeld Law can help you get reimbursed for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our firm at (425) 657-5255 for more information or to discuss your potential case.